Friday, December 01, 2006

Calabaza Pie

I still have some of those pie crusts I got from work to use up, so today while I was at the grocery store, I picked up some pumpkin pie-like ingredients, neither of which are pumpkin.

The pie I'm making today is a calabaza pie. I'd never heard of calabaza until today at the store, when I saw what looked like a nice quarter of a pumpkin. The flesh was a rich orange, and the seeds looked like those of a pumpkin, but when I turned the package over, I could see that the skin looked more like that of a giant pale acorn squash. Anyway this one quarter of a calabaza produced enough squash goo to fill two pies, so once we finish this pie, I'll be able to make another calabaza pie with very little effort.

I used the same recipe that I used to make my butternut squash pie a couple weeks ago, except this time I tried putting one egg in it, to see how it would change the consistency of the pie. After adding the egg, the batter became so watery I was worried that the pie would not bake well, but I just took it out of the oven a few moments ago, and it seems to have set quite nicely. Now I want to go make a nice chocolate syrup to drizzle over the top. Yum. :)

No comments: