Sunday, October 09, 2005

Rainy Weekend

Finally, New Jersey has gotten some much-needed rain. Too bad it seems to be pretty much all at once! According to my mom, who is in Massachusetts, there were cars in Newark up to their hoods in water. At least that's what she told me she saw on the TV. We don't have a TV, so we didn' t see any of that. But it did rain pretty hard here - water pooled up a bit in the back yard, and a little bit seeped into the basement. Hopefully that won't become a big problem for us the future.

On Friday, we went to our second dance up in Montclair. It was fun and this time we met more people. The nice thing about the people we met this time is that they seemed more willing to talk about things other than dancing, which I always find refreshing at a dance. :) We also spent some time at a nearby mall on Saturday. The Short Hills Mall reminds me of Honolulu's Ala Moana Shopping Center, since it has all the same upscale stores like Tiffany, Needless Markup, etc. And today we found the $2 movie theater. I'm still not really sure exactly where it is... maybe Secaucus or maybe Hoboken, or maybe even some other town over there by the Meadowlands. We saw Skeleton Key, which I liked because I like movies that feature big scary old houses.

Tonight is like a weekend night too, because tomorrow is Columbus Day (or Discoverers' Day if you are in Hawaii), and this is the first time Russ has had this particular holiday off in years. When I lived in Connecticut, I spent every Columbus Day hiking up to the top of Talcott Mountain (more like a bump since the peak is only about 900 feet above sea level), just to get some apple cider and donuts, and see the view from the top of the Heublein Tower. I didn't miss doing that so much when I was living in Hawaii, but now that I'm back on the east coast, I think it will feel like a little something's missing.

But no big deal, because now we have a cute kitty cat to play with! Musubi is such a sweet kitty. :) We took her back to the animal shelter on Thursday so we all could visit with her soon-to-be adopted little brother, Spam (he doesn't know his name is Spam yet... he still thinks his name is Eenie). Spam liked visiting with Musubi. Musubi was so busy checking out the whole place that she kind of didn't notice Spam. Even though she is still a kitten, Musubi is twice the size of little Spam. While she didn't show much interest in him, at least Musubi didn't hiss or growl at him. They sniffed each other a little bit, and then she went on her way to go check out the other cats and stuff around the shelter. I wonder how she's going to like sharing her new house with a little brother.

Speaking of sharing houses with brothers... my big brother may be coming to live with us for a month or two! Eek, I don't know how I feel about that! Usually I can only handle visiting with him for a few days if we are staying in the same place... a little longer is ok if we are staying in our own places. He's just so big-brotherish, and likes to have things the way he likes them. He also likes to think that the way he likes things is inherently better than the way I (or our parents, or whomever) like things (unless I/we like it the same way he does), and therefore he usually tries to impose his ways upon me... which kinda gets my goat. For example, he will insist on having cable TV while he is here, which I guess is fine if he pays for it. I just don't want it to become a permanent fixture here, and I don't want it in the living room!

No comments: