Saturday, November 11, 2006

Wabbit Season? No. Duck Season? No. Deer Season? Apparently.

Last night I went to the bi-weekly swing dance in Whippany, New Jersey, with my friend, Tiffany. On our way home at around 2:30 a.m., traveling through Livingston on Northfield Avenue, between the circle and JFK Parkway, we must have encountered nearly 20 deer! First I spotted a single deer with antlers walking around the other side of the road from us, so I slowed way down. Then, moments later, we passed by a couple clumps of deer that were hovering around the edge of the road on both sides. Many residents in this thickly settled stretch of road seemed to have these large lawn ornaments that turned out to be even more deer! I don't think I've ever before seen so many deer hanging out in the same half-mile. And then to top it all off, we nearly ran over a big fat raccoon running across the road! Fortunately, we didn't physically encounter any of these critters. I hope no one else did, either.

No comments: