Friday, August 08, 2008

Tubing on the Delaware

Last Sunday Kenji and I drove out to Frenchtown and rented innertubes from Delaware River Tubing for a nice relaxing five mile float down the Delaware.

I've wanted to go tubing down the Delaware for a couple summers now, but never got around to it I think just because I kept forgetting. But recently I came across a letterbox clue that informed me of the fact that there is a hot dog stand floating in the river between Frenchtown and Stockton, and that was pretty much all I needed to decide that we were going to go tubing.

We never found the letterbox, but we did find the Hot Dog Man. Of course he's impossible to miss as that's where hundreds of other tubers, kayakers, rafters and canoers all stop for their lunches. Kenji and I each had a cheeseburger, a lemonade and a bag of chips.

Between lunch and floating, the overall trip from start to finish took about three hours. The Delaware is a nice wide river, but there were many places where its depth was only a foot or two, and I doubt we encountered many, if any, places where the water was over our heads. There sort of were some rapids, but not really... instead I would say the water just got bumpy from time to time, but most of the time the river looked like this. :)

No comments: