Sunday, February 05, 2006

Mission Impossible, Day 32

So we're still at the same step in the process of kitty cat potty training as we were in our last post, and will likely remain there for another week or so before removing the next ring from the center of the CityKitty.

There are two reasons for this delay. First, it seemed that one of the kitties was not very excited about going unko. I was pretty sure it was Spammy though, because earlier in the week I noticed that some unko was on the CitiKitty after Musubi used it. I also noticed that the kitties didn't seem to go unko until shortly after they eat their triangles in the morning (um, that's the shape of their food...), so on Saturday morning I fed them and then went down cellar to see who was going to be the next one to use the potty.

Sure enough, Spammy followed me downstairs, hopped up on the potty, walked around in circles, and then hopped down. Then he wandered around the floor next to the wall, sniffed where he'd left his last unko (which I'd already cleaned up), looked at me, and then wanderd out of the little bathroom. Next he wandered over to the washer and drying, and hopped into a box. Following him over to the box, I could see that he was getting ready to make unko in the box. I quickly picked him up and put him on the potty - again he walked around in circles on it, and hopped off. He went to play with Musubi, and after a couple of mintues, went under my sewing table and started to squat next to the wall. So I scooped him up again and brougt him to the potty. By this time I realized he just wanted more privacy for making unko - for some reason, making shi-shi on top of the toilet doesn't bother him, nor did making unko before we put the first hole in the Citi Kitty.

So this time, before Spammy ran out of the little bathroom, I grabbed the top to their old litter box and held it over the top of the toilet. When Spammy saw this, he climed right up onto the toilet, turned around in circles a couple of times, squatted down and made unko. :)

Since the litter box top isn't really tall enough to sit on the toilet, this morning I cut the side off a box and affixed it to the toilet seat with some tape. After Spammy had some breakfast, he came running down the stairs, hopped up on the toilet, and made unko again. Good kitty.

Oheah, and the second reason for staying at the same step in the kitty cat potty training process is because little Spammy is scheduled to get neutered on Tuesday. Poor little kitty. I tell him he's going to visit the doctor all day on Tuesday because he's going to get a manicure. Which is partially true, since they do trim his claws before the surgery! =) But I figure that will be enough changes for the poor little guy right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI - I'm following the progress, hoping it works out for you so I can have some guidelines. Our cats already think they're human, so this shouldn't be a stretch.

mochichick said...

Hehehe, well the update for now is we took a step backward after Spammy got his nuts done on Tuesday. The vet said to use shredded newspaper for litter for five days, and since I don't want that stuff going down the toilet, I covered the hole up on the CitiKitty! I think I'll keep it that way for another week or two after I switch them back to the flushable litter though, to really make sure they are used to it again.