Saturday, September 10, 2005

House is becoming a home

Finally, a picture of our house!

Up till now, it hasn't really felt much like a home, though. First, there was no furniture to speak of. Then there was some furniture, and a whole bunch of stuff, but it was all disorganized and just everywhere in piles on the floor. Today we made some real progress on putting away most of the stuff. We have our bedroom set up, and now an office/guest room. The dining room is cleared out and ready for the arrival of the table we bought - delivery is scheduled for Monday morning.

Since we moved into the house nearly two weeks ago, we've been eating in a lot more often. Though mostly sandwiches and hot dogs... basically things that don't require cooking, or can be cooked easily in the microwave. Those kind of meals get old pretty quickly. So it's been a real treat to have all of our pots and pans and cooking utensils. This morning we had scrambled eggs and French toast with real maple syrup. Yum. :)

Even more fun for me is I finally got to bake a batch of chocolate chip cookies! The last time I baked those was July 13th, the night before the movers came and took all of our stuff away. I had just gotten home from visiting Russ on the mainland, and had gone bowling with some of my friends at Ft. Shafter which we followed up with a pizza and cookie party at our apartment. Fond memories. :)

I like the oven here - it seems to cook a little faster, and more evenly than the one we had in Hawaii. Except I had some trouble figuring out how to make it work... digital ovens and I don't get along very well yet. Anyway, I think Russ and I each ate like seven cookies last night while I was baking them. And there he is, stealing one while I was in the process of taking pictures of some of the progress we made throughout the day.

While I'm at it, I might as well give you a little bit of a tour of some of the rest of our house. Here's what we are using for our dinner table right now... nice little eating nook next to the window. :)



And looking in the opposite direction, we assembled our shelves. Notice I have the cookbook opened to my favorite cookie recipe.



In anticipation of the arrival of our dinner table on Monday, we also cleared out the living room so the delivery folks can get through...



A lot of the stuff that used to be on the floor in the living room and dining room went into this room...



And some more went into this room...



We made some progress on setting up the bedroom for our friend Totoro...



And now we have an office/guest room with a futon that folds out for sleeping on.

No comments: