Sunday, January 22, 2006

Potato Chips

This weekend has been a good weekend for physical activity. On Friday, I drove down to Princeton to go to their monthly swing dance, and had a lotta good fun.

However, I was disappointed to find out that those people down there don't like to dance to the Slim Gaillard's Potato Chips. That's one of my favorite songs to dance to ever. I think the DJ thought it was cool that I requested the song, but he told me that whenever he plays that song there, people look at him weird. So I asked a couple of the guys I danced with if I am the only one who really enjoys dancing to that song, and they pretty much confirmed it. One guy, Mike, said, "Well, I generally don't like dancing to songs about food." How can that be???!!! So many great jazz tunes are about food, or are somehow food-related! I even have an entire playlist on my iPod dedicated to food-related songs, of which these are very danceable:

Potato Chips - Slim Gaillard
Matzoh Balls - Slim Gaillard
Saturday Night Fish-Fry - Louis Jordan
Beans and Cornbread - Louis Jordan
Everybody Eats When They Come to My House - Cab Calloway
The Frim Fram Sauce - Ella Fitzgerals & Louis Armstrong
Shew Fly Pie - Ella Fitzgerald
Banana Split for My Baby - Louis Prima
Hold Tight (Want Some Seafood, Mama) - The Andrew Sisters

Seems like guys named Louis like to sing about food...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How my mouth just drips...
Crunch, crunch
I don't want no lunch
All I want is potato chips