Friday, May 18, 2007

1st Broadway Show: Phantom of the Opera

This year I actually made a list of New Year's resolutions. I didn't write them down, so the list grows and shrinks as I think of and forget about various items. One item that's been on it since the beginning and that I did not forget about was to go see a Broadway show because I had never been to one before. So when my friend Gail said she was coming to visit NYC with her daughter, and asked if I wanted to go see Phantom of the Opera with her, I jumped at the chance. So we had a foursome with Gail, her daughter Leicie, Tiffany (who made sure we knew where we were going), and myself.

The show was at the Majestic Theater on 44th Street, and our seats were pretty good - center stage and maybe between five and ten rows behind the orchestra seating. Of course the singing, set, and costumes we wonderful. I was a little worried that it might be difficult to follow the story if the singing was too operatic, but that didn't turn out to be a problem. My only complaint would be that the seats in the theater are rather uncomfortable - sitting with good posture was making my back hurt, so I found myself curling up in a slouched position for most of the performance.

So now I can cross going to a Broadway show off my list for this year. Other things on my list of New Year's resolutions include getting a new hobby that both Kenji and I can do together (we picked rock climbing), and doing some volunteer work (delivering books for the library to shut-ins every other week). I think there were some other items too, but at the moment I can't recall what they are.

No comments: