Tuesday, March 07, 2006

The Joys of Home-Ownership, Part IV

Today was the day we had our two danger-trees removed. :) I was all uptight about getting them removed, thinking of all kinds of things that could go wrong. Like the tree service guys hit the house driving the crane into the backyard, or they drop a big branch onto our neighbor's house, or the crane gets stuck in our backyard because the ground is too soft, the crane breaks our sidewalk, blah blah blah. I thank my mom for me thinking that way. ;)

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking. Before the guys came out this morning, Kenji went outside and took some before photos of our two trees. This the tree that was next to our garage - it's standing straight and tall, but one side of it is mostly hollow.

Here's our leaning tree, the one I noticed on snow storm morning that started this whole quest for tree removal.

The next three photos are of the tree next to the garage again. It's high branches are kind of scraggly, and they sort of overhang our neighbor's house.

This is the space between our house and the neighbor's fence. It's the only way the tree service could get the crane into our backyard. It was very nerve-wracking to watch them drive it into the yard, but they managed it without hitting anything.

And here's the crane, sitting in our backyard, and already doing work:

This guy would attach the crane pull to a tree branch, cut it, and then the crane would lower the piece to the ground, where some other guys would run the parts through the chipper, which was squished into our very narrow driveway.

Before I left for work at 10:30am, they already had most of the tree by the garage down:

And by the time Russ got hom at 3:30pm, the tree guys were already gone! This is the leftover stump from the tree by the garage. You can see how much of it was hollowed out!

And this is the stump from the leaning tree. Too bad neither of us could be here to take pictures of them bringing this one down.

I really thought the tree guys would still be here after I got home from work at about 4:30pm, but they had already been gone for about an hour at least. As I mentioned in a previous post, the tree service we selected was Tree Tech Inc. I thought they did a great job, and for a much better price (by at least $500) than any of the other services that came out to make estimates. And yay, no more worrying about danger-trees!

No comments: